Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

12 hikes :: march :: caballero canyon

this one was a two-fer for march...

i did the 4 mile loop with my friend earlier in the month (great workout) - and returned with the family for a quick saturday morning hike (only 1 mile) just up the trail along the fireroad and up along mulholland drive.

12 hikes
view of the longer loop from reseda


12 hikes

Caballero Canyon (Topanga State Park)
top of Reseda Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 91356
Neighborhood: Tarzana

Proximity: 5 miles from our home
Hike length: various trails : i love the 4.2 mile loop for a workout and the shorter trails with the kids
Bonus features: beautiful chaparral with seemingly old manzanitas and wildflowers in the spring. great views of the ocean and valley. shorter trails dog friendly (on leash). lizards, rattlesnakes and coyotes have been spotted.
Tips: we parked for free on Reseda. (there is a propensity for car break-ins on this very popular hiking spot so windows up and doors locked.) bring lots of water. the longer hike takes almost 2 hours and the the shorter allow for at least 45 minutes.

* * * * *

E: I'd say 7 out of 10. It was a really good hike. I didn't really want to go at first. I felt lazy today. But it was pretty on the path we went on so I'm glad we went.

K: 7 too. This hike was more fun than I thought. I thought it would be very boring but it was better than I expected.

D: it had the potential of being a 10, but its a hot hill you want to start early in the morning. with what we actually did, it was good for a leg stretch.

No comments: