Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

52 cookies :: week 18 :: gingersnaps

I felt the need for a home-run this week. I wanted an icebox dough. (its been hot - and I wanted to be able to make the dough at night - and bake it in the early morning - instead of staying up late to bake.) and when I found these gingersnaps (my dad's favorite cookies) they called my name. they didn't disappoint.

Chez Panisse Gingersnaps
via the kitchn

makes at least 3 dozen

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/3 c molasses
3 c all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Cream butter and sugar until very soft and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, and beat until fluffy. Add molasses and beat until well-incorporated. Add the dry ingredients to the mixture. On low speed, mix until it all just comes together.

Line a 9" x 5" loaf pan with plastic wrap, so that some hangs over the outsides. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan. Pack it tightly, and try to make the top as level as possible. Cover the dough with the plastic overhangs. Freeze until very firm, preferably overnight.

52 cookies

Unwrap and remove dough from the pan. Slice brick into very, very thin slices, try for no more than 1/8". Place on a silpat-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 until the edges turn dark brown, about 12 minutes.

52 cookies

Lovely when just slightly burned on the edges.

52 cookies


K: I love the cookies so much. They are so smooth, sweet, crunchy, good, and tasty. they are good with milk, and ice cream. i like them with ice cream because you can make an ice cream sandwich.

E: Good, crunchy, sometimes soft. Good 4 cool weather. And warm weather.

D: These are the coolest. I said "whoa!" when I saw that shape. I said "I must dunk you in milk", which I did. I know what yer all saying,"Oh no, D! You don't even drink milk!!!" and you would be right. BUT I CAN DUNK! And I did like seven times. Delicious. Fun. Super good delicious fun winner cookie.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

seems like the girls' effusive lingo is rubbing off on d. i like the enthusiasm!

AND these cookies do look and sound like fun winners.

Alicia A. said...

Ha! Whoa!
D is funny.

BunkleLife said...

those look amazing - love me some ginger snaps! May try and convert to GF ...
xo