Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

52 cookies :: week 2 :: anzac biscuits

thanks for your cookie love! i look forward to using your recipe suggestions as we move forward with this little exercise. just wish you were closer so we could share a couple over a cup of tea...

in 1993 my parents moved to australia for a year. my brother and i followed for a summer - and he stayed on while I returned to attend graduate school. i have a teenage nephew now in aus - and the girls and I have made a trip to visit as regularly as we can.

one recipe my mom returned with from australia is anzac biscuits. she passed it on to me - and then this christmas she passed the recipe on to e. i love these oaty nutty cookies.

52 cookies

Gramma's Anzac Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup or honey
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine flour, oats, sugar, and coconut. Set aside. Over medium heat, melt butter with syrup/honey. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and add to butter mixture. Stir to combine. Add butter mixture to dry ingredients and mix well. Drop by ice-cream scoop onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart (the scoop needs to be packed so that the mixture doesn't crumble). Flatten cookies slightly with the heel of your hand. Bake until golden brown and firm - about 15 minutes.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies (!)

Ok - one week into this challenge and I am realizing that at this rate we are going to consume somewhere around 1500 cookies in 2012! So a strategy is in order. I'll be packing up a dozen of these to share with my "walk-to-school" freighbours :)


K: TRICKY NAME but... YUMMY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yum;p

E: I think the cookies were excellent. Although next time please put bigger coconut slices in them. That's all I think. O I forgot, next time make them bigger or flatten them out at least. Well I think they were quite ( very ) good ( AWSOME ). Thx
:D; P


D: Crispy crunchy chewy and dense... These Anzac biscuits have snuck up on me a bit. I'm quickly becoming a fan. I took a couple(4) to work and had them with coffee, and was less then inspired, BUT, after dinner with tea(and brandy) I am digging them. The oats that bothered me this morning have transformed into the joy of the crystallized sugar that sits atop like a snow capped peak of days gone by. Sad, but I just realized that I won't eat these cookies again for 52 weeks.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

again, so love the family blog.

sorry we missed tea time today.

Jennie said...

Would Nanaimo bars count as a cookie?

Tracy said...

thanks reb xo
jennie - if they aren't they should be! xo