Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

52 cookies :: week 1 :: chocolate chip

the girls have challenged me to baking a different type of cookie (or worst case scenario at least baking cookies!) every week through 2012. in return, I have asked them to review them...

here we go!

52 cookies

week 1. chocolate chip cookies.

we do many variations on this one. this week - for no reason in particular - the recipe on the bag of tj's chips caught my eye late at night as I was prepping school lunches and I decided to give it a go.

Trader Joe's Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 c brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 c softened butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 package chocolate chips (I actually only used 2/3 a bag - which we had on hand - and it was plenty!)
1 c nuts (optional - and I optioned to leave out this time.)

Preheat oven to 375 F. Combine flour, salt and baking soda in bowl and set aside. Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, softened butter and vanilla and beat until creamy. Add eggs and beat. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls onto non-greased cookie sheets. Bake 8 - 10 minutes.

Makes approximately 2 dozen large cookies. (I would make them smaller next time!)

Now for the reviews...

K: The best chocolate chip cookies ever!CRUNCHY ON THE OUTSIDE & CHOOEY IN THE INSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i would recommend it.IT IS SOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E: They were just super delish but what was good was that it was chewy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. I also really like the size. It made them chewy without being gooey.

D wants in on the action :)

D: Chewy without being gooey and the edge was nicely crisp. Just the right combo of sweet and salty. I really liked the scale of the cookie. It had a presence without being stupidly large. You could improve on the quantity. Two dozen is not enough.


Stay tuned.

9 comments:

this single spark said...

really wishing i was there!

maybe i'll send you my favorite cookie recipes and your girls can review them. :]

Tracy said...

Please C. I am not sure I can manage finding 52 different recipes! xo Snow day today?

carol said...

ooh! I love this kind of challenge. Chocolate chip cookies are my all time favorite!

shari said...

this is so fun, tracy! i have the crispy, crunchy, chewy, gooey book by alice medrich that is all about cookies. you should see if the library has it.

BunkleLife said...

A new fave - and who says shortbread is just for Christmas? ;) Lemon makes it scream SPRINGTIME to me!!

http://shaunasever.com/2008/04/how-shauna-got-her-groove-back.html

I'm delving into the joys of gluten free baking right now - lots of almond flour recipes - benefits of being high protein/low carb as well as being super yummy - if anything spectacular comes out of it I will let you know! Until then, keep the cookies coming....

xj

rebecca said...

i'm going to love following this challenge for the reviews alone. love the full family blog!

Jeff said...

So this happens weekly at your house? Do the cookies come out of the oven at any particular time on any particular day of the week? I am checking flight availabiltity :) - jeff @ rebbermade

Tracy said...

Thanks all. I will be looking to your recipes! I am a little worried about constantly having cookies in the house - but was thinking we can always share :) Jeff - 3:00 is prime cookie time around here. Just make sure to bring your peeps! xo

Eva @ Not your mama's dinner said...

Those cookies look great.
I love the reviewsection. Especially improving the quantity is one tip I'm going to take with me. Lovely, witty girls!