Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

I {heart} Mark Bittman

Another hit. (From How to Cook Everything.)

I have the app - and use it frequently in my meal planning.

Braised Chard with Olive Oil and Rice

1 lb chard
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 small carrots*, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
1/4 cup white rice
juice of 1/2 lemon

Cut stems out of the chard leave and then cut leaves into wide ribbons and slice stems. Keep separate.

Put all but a tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over med heat. When hot add chard stems and carrots, along with sprinkling of salt and pepper, and cook until tender.

Add the chard leaves, some salt and pepper, the rice and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover, adjust the heat so the mixture simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, of until the water is absorbed; should be moist but not soupy. Just before serving (hot, room temperature, or cold) drizzle with remaining olive oil and the lemon juice.

*I used 3 carrots - since I have an abundance of them :) and also added two leeks to the mix

3 comments:

Eema said...

Yummy! I think I'll try the braised chard with rice as a filler for stuffed peppers.

Eema said...

Hey Neighbors! How did the produce pick-up at the school go?

Calvert Greener said...

Thanks Eema! Let us know know how it turned out :) And pick-up ran without a hitch. Hooray!